What is an email discussion list?
- You set up a list of people in your organization.
- Using your regular email program like Thunderbird, Outlook, or GMail, you send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, and that email then gets propagated to everyone in the list that you set up in Step 1.
- When people reply to your email, it can either go to everyone on the list, or just the person who wrote the original email. It's up to you, based on how you have your account set up.
- Get open tracking, click tracking, DomainKeys/DKIM signing on all emails and replies sent to the entire list.
Email discussion lists are useful for organizations that want to have large group conversations over email. JangoMail is one of the few ESPs (Email Service Providers) to offer this feature.
This article assumes you know how to set up a new list, but the basic steps are:
- Click on Lists tab.
- Create a new list.
- Define fields for your list.
- Import your email addresses and other fields into the list.
For more detailed instructions, see the page on adding and importing email addresses.
Using an Email List as an Email Discussion List
Once you've set up your list, it's time to set the list up to be used as an email discussion list. Go to the Settings section and click on the Edit icon next to Sending and Receiving→ Externally Launched Emails.
Here you will make appropriate changes such that your list can be used as an email discussion list. There are several settings that must be made:
- Leave From Display Name blank. If you enter a value here, then this will be the name that all the emails in the discussion will be "from" rather than the name of the person who wrote the email. If you're going to have an email discussion within your organization, you likely want each response to show as being from the person who wrote it.
- Set From Email Address to Of Email List. This will make it such that anytime someone starts or responds to the discussion, the From Email Address will always be email@example.com, forcing all replies to that address as well, which will make it so that each reply is propagated to everyone on the list.
Note: If you want replies to the initial sender to go just to the sender, rather than to everyone on the list, then set this to Of Just Sender.
- Set List(s) to Send To to the list that you wish to be the discussion list.
- In the Tracking & Authentication tab, set Authenticate using to From Address, and choose the same list from the multi-select that you chose in Step 3.
Your list is now set up as an email discussion list!
Anyone in the list can send an email to everyone else in the list simply by composing and sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, from any external email program, like Thunderbird, Outlook, or GMail for example. All replies will also go to the entire list, since replies will be directed to email@example.com also. Only members of the list may send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org for propagation to the rest of the list. If a non-member sends an email to email@example.com, the email will be discarded.
Why use JangoMail as your Email Discussion List Service?
Using JangoMail over a traditional "listserv" service offers these benefits:
- Each message, from the original email to the list to all replies, is tracked as an individual campaign, so you can get analytics, such as open-tracking and click-tracking on each email and each reply.
- All emails can be DomainKeys/DKIM signed.
- Verify delivery to recipients via SMTP Logs.
- Automatically have bounce-backs and removal-requests handled.
|The Email Discussion List Service is only one of JangoMail's many features!|