JangoMail has powerful email scheduling abilities. When you send a mass email through JangoMail, the email can be sent:
- Later on, at a specific date and time.
- At regularly scheduled or event-driven intervals, like every day at 9 AM for example or after an order is placed on your website.
On the Messages page where you compose your mass email, there is a Schedule tab. It looks like this:
When composing a blank email from scratch, ASAP is selected by default.
If you would like to have the email sent later, and only at a specific date and time, follow these simple steps:
- Select the Later button.
- Specify the date and time. Choose the date from the drop down calendar that appears when you click in the box. Enter your desired send time in either military time or with AM/PM. Also note that all times are specified in Eastern Standard Time, also known as New York time.
- Click Send to queue the message for your scheduled time.
Note: Clicking Save will not send the message. You must click Send.
There are situations where it may be beneficial to schedule a mass email to be sent on a recurring basis. Examples of these situations include:
- You own an apartment building, and you want to send a mass email to all of your tenants on the 20th of every month reminding them to pay their rent.
- You have a website where you sell your product. You have a form on your website for prospective customers to demo your product. Every day at 2 PM you would like an email sent to all prospective customers from the last 24 hours thanking them for their interest and informing them that a rep will be calling them shortly. This is also referred to as an event-driven email.
- You are the webmaster for an online news website. Every day you want the day’s top news headlines emailed to all of your subscribers.
All of these situations are handled elegantly with JangoMail’s recurring scheduling feature.
Setting the Recurring Schedule
- First you must compose an email and save it. You can do this by saving it or sending it to yourself. A message automatically saves when you send it.
- Navigate to the Settings tab and click on Recurring Messages under Sending and Receiving.
- In the popup window, select Add New Item.
- Fill out your preferences for your recurring email.
Determining the Recipients of a Recurring Message
There are situations where you may want the recurring mass email to go out to the same recipients every time (like in the apartment rent example), and there are situations you may want the recurring mass email to go out to different recipients every time (like in example 2, with the website form).
The following general principles apply when scheduling a recurring mass email:
- If you are sending to one or more lists, then every time the email is sent, it will go to everybody that is a member of the list at the time the email is sent.
- If you are filtering a list (for example, just the list members that have joined in the last week), then you have the option of setting JangoMail to send to those same recipients every time, or having JangoMail re-query your list for you prior to each email being sent.
- If you are sending to recipients pulled from a web database, then you have the option of setting JangoMail to send to those same recipients every time, or having JangoMail re-query your web database for you prior to each email being sent.
When you schedule an email to send later, the Schedule tab of the Messages section will have one extra option in it: Get fresh data before sending?
If Yes is selected, then the list or web database will be queried for the appropriate recipients each time the email is sent on the recurring schedule. This is useful for event-driven situations.
If No is selected, then the recipients pulled before arriving at this page will always be the recipients each time the email is sent on the recurring schedule.
Managing Your Recurring Schedules after Composing the Email
You can fully manage your recurring mass email schedules under Settings → Sending and Receiving → Recurring Messages. You can add, edit, pause, and delete recurring mass email schedules from this section.
Editing Your Recurring Message
You can easily edit your recurring message from the Recurring Messages window. Click the pencil icon to the right of the selected message to edit.
This will take you to message composition screen. Once you've made your changes, click Save and they will take effect for the next time your recurring message is sent out!
|Sharpen your knowledge and skill set with these other tools from JangoMail.|